Below is a bibliography of research related to Macrocystis pyrifera and kelp forest ecology:
· Abbott, I. and G. Hollenberg 1976. Marine Algae of California. Stanford University Press. Stanford, California. 827 pp.
· Brzezinski, M., D.C.Reed, and C.D. Amsler. 1993. Neutral lipids as major storage products in zoospores of the giant kelp, macrocystis pyrifera. Journal of Phycology 29: 16-23.
· Bushing, W. W., 1995. Identifying regions of persistent giant kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera) around Santa Catalina Island for designation as marine reserves. Proc. 15th ESRI User Conference, Palm Springs, CA, May 21-26, 1995.
· Bushing, W. W., 1994. Biogeographic and ecological implications of kelp rafting as a dispersal vector for marine vertebrates. In W. L. Halvorson and G. J. Maender (eds.), The Fourth California Islands Symposium: Update on the Status of Resources. Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History Santa Barbara, CA). pp. 103-110.
· Cowen, R.K., C.R. Agegian, and M.S. Foster. 1982. The maintenance of community structure in a central California giant kelp forest. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 64: 189-201.
· Coyer, J.A. 1984. The invertebrate assemblage associated with the giant kelp, Macrocystis pyrifera, at Santa Catalina Island, California: a general description with emphasis on amphipods, copepods, mysids and shrimps. Fishery Bulletin 82(1):55-66.
· Coyer, J. A., D. L. Robertson, et al. 1994. Genetic variability within a population and between diploid/haploid tissue of Macrocystis pyrifera (Phaeophyceae). Journal of Phycology 30: 545-552.
· Coyer, J.A., D.L. Steller, R.S. Alberte. 1995. A field-compatible method for extraction of fingerprint-quality DNA from Macrocystis pyrifera (Phaeophyceae). Journal of Phycology 31: 177-180.
· Coyer, J.A., D.L. Robertson, R.S. Alberte. 1995. Genetic variability and parentage in Macrocystis pyrifera (Phaeophyceae) using multi-locus DNA fingerprinting. Journal of Phycology 31: 819-823.
· Dayton, P.K., V. Currie, T. Gerrodette, B. Keller, R. Rosenthal, and D. Van Tresca. 1984. Patch dynamics and stability of some southern California kelp communities. Ecological Monographs 54: 253-289.
· Dayton, P.K., and M.J. Tegner. 1984. Catastrophic storms, El Nino and patch stability in a southern California kelp community. Science 224: 283-285.
· Dayton, P.K., M.J. Tegner, P.E. Parnell, and P.B. Edwards. 1992. Temporal and spatial patterns of disturbance and recovery in a kelp forest community. Ecological Monographs 62: 421-445.
· Dean, T.A., S.C. Schroeter, and J. Dixon. 1984. Effects of grazing by two species of sea urchins (Strongylocentrotus franciscanus and Lytechinus anamesus) on the recruitment and survival of two species of kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera and Pterygophora californica). Marine Biology 78: 301-313.
· Druehl, L.D. and G.W. Saunders, 1992. Molecular explorations in kelp evolution. Prog. Phycol. Res. 8: 47-83.
· Druehl, L.D., C. Mayes, I.H. Tan, G.W. Saunders. 1997. Molecular and morphological phylogenies of kelp and associated brown algae. In Origins of Algae and their Plastids, D.Bhattacharya (ed.). SpringerWeinNewYork.
· Duggins, D.O. 1980. Kelp beds and sea otters: an experimental approach. Ecology 61: 447-453.
· Ebeling, A. W., D.R. Laur, and R.J. Rowley. 1985. Severe strom disturbances and the reversal of community structure in a southern California kelp forest. Marine Biology 84: 287-294.
· Estes, J A. The influence of large, mobile predators in aquatic food webs: Examples from sea otters and kelp forests. Greenstreet, S. P. R. and M. L. Tasker (Ed.). Aquatic predators and their prey; Royal Society of Edinburgh Conference, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, August 1994. x+191p. Blackwell Scientific Publications: Oxford, England, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1996. p. 65-72.
· Foster, M. and D. Schiel, 1985. The ecology of giant kelp forests in California: a community profile. U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service Biological Report 85 (7.2). 152 pp.
· Gerard, V.A. 1982. Growth and utilization of internal nitrogen reserves by the giant kelp Macrocystis pyrifera in a low nitrogen environment. Marine Biology 66: 27-35.
· Gerard, V.A. 1984. Physioloical effects of El Nino on giant kelp in southern California. Marine Biology Letters 5: 317-322.
· Holbrook S.J., M.H. Carr, R.J. Schmitt, J.A. Coyer. 1990. Effect of Giant Kelp on local abundance of reef fishes-The importance of ontogenetic resource reqiurements. Bulletin of Marine Science. July 47(1): 104-114.
· Jackson, G.A. 1977. Nutrients and production of the giant kelp Macrocystis pyrifera off southern California. Limnology and Oceanography 22: 979-995.
· Klinger, T. 1984. Allocation of blade surface area to meiospore production in annual and perennial representatives of the genus Laminaria. Thesis. University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
· Leighton, D.J., L.G. Jones, and W.J. North. 1966. Ecological relationships between gian kelp and sea urchins in southern California. Proceeding of the International Seaweed Symposium 5: 141-153.
· Neushul, M. 1959. Studies of the growth and reproduction of the giant kelp Macrocystis. Dissertation. University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA.
· Reed, D.C. 1987. Factors affecting the production of sporophylls in the giant kelp Macrocystis pyrifera. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 113: 61-69.
· Reed, D.C. 1990a. An experimental evaluation of density dependence in a subtidal algal population. Ecology 71: 2286-96.
· Reed, D.C., C.D. Amsler, and A.W. Ebeling. 1992. Dispersal in kelps: factors affecting spore swimming and competency. Ecology 73: 1577-1585.
· Reed, D.C., A.W. Ebeling, T.W. Anderson, and M. Anghera. 1996. Differential reproductive responses to fluctuating resouorces in two seqweeds with different reproductive strategies. Ecology 77: 300-316.
· Reed, D.C., R.J. Lewis, and M. Anghera. 1994. Effects of an open coast oil production outfall on patternsof giant kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera) recruitment. Marine Biology 120: 26-31.
· Reed, D.C., M. Neushul, and A. W. Ebeling. 1991. Role of density on gametophyte growth and reproduction in the kelps Macrocystis pyrifera and Pterygophora californica. Journal of Phycology 27: 361-366.
· Santelices, B. and F. P. Ojeda, 1984. Effects of canopy removal on the understory algal community structure of coastal forests of Macrocystis pyrifera from southern South America. Mar. Ecol.-Progr. Ser. 14(2):165-173.
· Seymour, R., M. Tegner, P. Dayton and P. Parnell 1989. Storm wave induced mortality of giant kelp, Macrocystis pyrifera, in southern California. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 28:277-292.
· Tegner, M.J., and P.K. Dayton. 1987. El Nino effects on southern California kelp forest communities. Advances in Ecological Research 17: 243-279.
· Zimmerman, R.C., and J.N. Kremer. 1984. Episodic nutrient supply to a kelp forest ecosystem in southern California. Journal of Marine Research 42: 591-604.